When you heavily resize a PSD layered item, you might notice that shadows don’t look the same anymore. It is because a shadow has pixel size value which gets out of proportion when your item’s size changes. To avoid this problem, you might think of the following:
- Try to avoid heavily resizing an item. Plan ahead how large your canvas should be to fit most items.
- If you really must resize an item to smaller size, please do so in a separate document.
- First, edit the item until you’re happy with it.
- Make sure the shadows have the right Global Light angle for the scene.
- Then merge the group, so your item is now flattened into 1 layer…
- …OR (advised) convert the group to Smart Object.
- Drag the Smart Object into your scene and resize.
Do not enlarge items. Instead, create a scene, flatten it in a new file, and then use professional extrapolation software if you need to make a larger scene.